Barbuda is located in the Lesser Antilles in the north east corner of the Caribbean, 26 miles north of Antigua. Located at 17° 38′ 0″ N / 61° 50′ 0″ W in the Northeastern Caribbean as part of a three-island state with Antigua and unpopulated Redonda, Barbuda has remained a hidden treasure for the select and lucky few since Columbus visited over 500 years ago. Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea, Barbuda is renowned for its 17 miles of endless pink and white sand beaches.
Lighthouse Bay is located on the western coast of Barbuda on a sand bar separated by roughly from the greater part of Barbuda by the roughly one and an half mile width of the Codrington Lagoon. The sand bar is physically connected to the rest of Barbuda from the south by miles and miles of “dead sand” which make overland travel virtually impossible and creates a natural exclusivity for your gatherings.
To the south are the islands of Montserrat (66 miles) and Guadalupe (165 miles), and to the north and west are Nevis & St. Kitts (64 miles), St. Bart’s (67 miles), and St. Martin (91 miles).
Barbuda is in the Atlantic Time Zone (UTC/GMT -4 hours) and does not switch to Daylight Savings Time and effectively operates on U.S. Eastern Time during periods when the U.S. is on Daylight Savings Time. Over the year, Barbuda has average high temperatures ranging from 81 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit..
Commercial travelers fly to Vere Bird Airport in Antigua (ANU) (4 1/2 hours from NY – 3 hours from Miami) and are met by an agent and directed through Customs and Immigration while private jets land at FBO 2000, where Immigration and Customs are handled expeditiously), before flying 26 miles by helicopter to Lighthouse Bay.
- Population: 1,200 (Most live in village of Codrington on this 68 square mile island)
- Language: English
- Government: Constitutional Monarchy within the British Commonwealth
- Entry Requirements: Valid Passport
- Currency: East Caribbean Dollar (ECD – although U.S. Dollars are generally accepted with Exchange Rate of 2.6882 ECD Dollars to 1 US Dollar (approximate)
- Government: Barbuda Council manages day-to-day internal affairs on the island of Barbuda. The council administers and regulates agriculture, forestry, public health, public utilities, and roads. It consists of 9 elected members plus Barbuda’s two members to the Antigua & Barbuda Parliament.